Planning regulates the use and development of land in accordance with the needs of the community. Town Planning establishes standards and requirements to be met by both public and private development throughout the community. Effective Planning ensures that development not only conforms to the various laws and requirements, but also provides a positive contribution to residential and business communities.
The use and development of land is controlled by the Shire’s Town Planning Schemes. Shire Officers assess a proposed land use or development against the objectives and requirements of the Schemes and can approve or refuse an application. Planning approval is required for, but not limited to:
- Changes made to the use of land and/or buildings except those permitted by the scheme
- Single houses outside of residential zones
- Grouped dwellings
- Multiple dwellings
- Additions and alterations
- Industrial and commercial developments
- Outbuildings except those permitted by the scheme
- Signage and other advertisements except those permitted by the scheme
- Fencing except that permitted by the scheme
- Development of sites listed on the Shires heritage inventory, including demolition, renovations maintenance and building
- Altering ground levels beyond that permitted by the scheme
- Existing structures without council approval
- Home occupations
- Demolition of heritage buildings
- trading in public places
- outdoor dining
- non low-impact telecommunication facilities
You should make an appointment with a planning officer to check whether planning approval is required for your proposal.
Legislative and Administrative Documents
In order to provide for the orderly and proper use and development of land and buildings through out the Shire, the Council is guided by the following legislative and administrative documents:
- Planning and Development Act 2005;
- Town Planning Regulations 1967;
- Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley Town Planning Scheme No 7 - Kununurra and Environs;
- Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley Town Planning Scheme No 6 – Wyndham Townsite;
- Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley Consolidated Local Laws;
- Council Development Control Policies;
- Various other Acts of Parliament and Regulations.
For further information, please contact the Shire’s Planning Department on (08) 9168 4100.