Town Planning Schemes
The Town Planning Schemes are the primary statutory planning instrument against which land use and development is guided and appropriately controlled. The Town Planning Schemes (TPS) set out the way land is to be used and developed, classify areas for land use and include provisions to coordinate infrastructure and development within the local government area.
The Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 came into effect on 19 October 2015, and include Deemed Provisions which automatically apply to all local planning schemes. The Deemed Provisions are principally in regard to administrative functions of a scheme and include provisions in relation to heritage protection, the process for the preparation and approval of local planning policies, structure plans, activity centre plans, and local development plans, the requirement and procedure for dealing with applications for development approval, and enforcement and administration.
The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley currently operates under two Town Planning Schemes. The town planning schemes aim to:
- Set aside land for the continued development of the town in areas appropriate for urban development.
- Limit the development of land considered inappropriate for urban uses because of the adverse effects of inundation and other physical constraints.
- Zone the balance of the land within the Scheme Area for various purposes described in the Scheme.
- Provide development policies and controls for the purpose of securing land, maintaining an orderly and properly planned use and development of land within the Scheme Area
- Set policies for the preservation of sites and places of historic and heritage value.
- To reserve land for public purposes.
- Zone the balance of the land within the Scheme Area for the various purposes described in the Scheme;
- Protect and enhance the environmental values and natural resources of the Scheme Area and to promote ecologically sustainable land use and development.
Each Town Planning Scheme comprises the Scheme Text and the Scheme Maps. Portions of the current Scheme Text for both of the Shire's Schemes have been superseded by the Deemed Provisions (as indicated by the changes to the Scheme Text marked in red), however the Scheme Maps remain unchanged.
Town Planning Scheme No. 6 Wyndham Townsite
Town Planning Scheme No. 6 Scheme Text
Town Planning Scheme No. 6 Scheme Maps
Town Planning Scheme No. 7 Kununurra and Environs
Town Planning Scheme No. 7 Scheme Text
Town Planning Scheme No. 7 Scheme Maps