This years Ordinary Council Election is being run by the Western Australian Electoral Commission and is a postal Election. 
Electors will be sent an election package containing postal voting instructions, ballot papers with candidate profiles attached, a ballot paper envelope with an elector certificate attached and a reply paid postage envelope. Replacement voting packages are available from the Local Government. The Commission keeps daily statistics of postal election packages returned via Australia Post. These figures are indicative only and are published on the Commission’s website  


In order to be enrolled for a Local Government Election you have to be one of the following:


You are already enrolled to vote in elections for the electorate in which you live if you are on the State electoral roll as a resident of that address. If you are not already on the State electoral roll and meet the eligibility criteria, a claim for enrolment should be made to any Divisional Returning Officer of the Australian Electoral Commission in Western Australia.

Owner and Occupier

You are also eligible to be enrolled to vote in Local Government elections if you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in the electorate, provided that you are on a State or Commonwealth electoral roll. (For example, if you live in a metropolitan area but own property in the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley you are able to vote in that Councils election.) However, remember that just because you own property and pay rates, it does not automatically allow you to vote at elections. It is essential that you lodge an enrolment form with the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.

If you are not on a State or Commonwealth electoral roll, an enrolment claim can still be accepted provided you were on the last owners and occupiers roll for that electorate and have continued to own or occupy rateable property in the electorate continuously since that roll was prepared. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next 3 months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owner and Occupier

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate, which owns or occupies rateable property, may nominate two persons who are on either the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.

Election Packages 

Election Packages will be sent to all electors on the local government electoral roll where there is an election in their electorate. Election Packages were sent Friday 20 September.

Replacement Packages can be obtained from the Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley (Kununurra & Wyndham offices) prior to election day and from 8.00am to 6.00pm on election day if the package is not received or should any papers be missing.

Post your vote early. Completed postal voting packages must reach the Returning Officer by 6.00pm on election day, Saturday, 19 October 2019.

You may hand deliver your package to an electoral officer at the Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley (Kununurra & Wyndham offices) during business hours before election day or at the polling place / any polling place in the district between 8.00am and 6.00pm on election day.

Chief Polling Place:

Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley, 20 Coolibah Drive, KUNUNURRA

Other Polling Place(s):

Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley, Koolama Street ,WYNDHAM

Ballot Boxes will also be placed in Kalumburu and Doon Doon:

Kalumburu and Doon Doon Ballot boxes will be delivered on Wednesday of next week.  Ballot boxes will be accompanied with All formal candidate profiles. Kalumburu and Doon Doon Communities mail is also distributed from these offices.

The count of votes will commence at 6.00pm Saturday 19 October 2019 at the Chief Polling Place Kununurra Council Chambers 20 Coolibah Drive  .

To stay up-to-date with the number of packages currently returned to WAEC please click here:

Contact Information 

For more information regarding the Local Government Ordinary Elections please do not hesitate to contact

Returning Officer Lincoln Heading 0418 946 525 or


Kourtney Williams Senior Governance & Risk Officer: 9168 4100  or