Building Services

Building Services

The Building Services Department has the responsibility of issuing building permits for all new developments, patios, garages, fences, swimming pools and isolation barriers, additions to existing dwellings and any other alterations to a property. The prime role is to control building works within the Shire.

Building Services is responsible for issuing the following permits and carrying out inspections on behalf of the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.

  • Issuing of Building Permits
  • Demolition Permits
  • Strata Title Approvals
  • Swimming Pool Barrier Inspections
  • Issuing of Certificate of Classification for Commercial Buildings (class 2-9)
  • Issuing of Storage of Materials on the Street Permits
  • Inspecting Completed Building Works
  • Issuing of Fence Approvals Under the Shire’s Local Laws
  • Building Approval Certificate (Unauthorised works)

Please note that in most instances Planning approval may be required for the development. For further information please contact the Shire’s Planning Department.

The Building Services Department can be contacted by phoning (08) 9168 4100.


Asbestos cement products were commonly used in buildings during the establishment of Wyndham and Kununurra and as a result, many buildings contain asbestos.

Asbestos fibre release occurs from natural sources, as well as occurring from extensive industrial and commercial use in the past. Inhalation of asbestos fibres in sufficient quantities may cause a number of chronic diseases including asbestosis, mesothelioma, lung cancer or pleural plaque. It is important to note that materials containing asbestos are relatively harmless when left undisturbed as it is bound in a solid cement matrix. It is only when the material is damaged that it may release fibres into the air.

If you are demolishing a structure a demolition permit shall be required, please click here for further information. Should the demolition require the removal of more than 10 square metres of asbestos, a licensed WorkSafe contractor must be used.

People removing and disposing of material containing asbestos must comply with the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992 and follow the following key points:

  • use adequate personal protective equipment 
  • wet the area thoroughly
  • do not use power tools
  • dispose of asbestos correctly in approved landfill sites by wrapping it in plastic sheeting and labelling it 'CAUTION ASBESTOS' in letters at least 30cm high

Visit WorkSafe for further information.


The Shire’s Building Services Department actively engages with the construction industry to ensure the built environment is transformed in line with the legislative standards and maintained appropriately to help promote the health and safety of the community.

Building Permits are required for:

  • Sheds
  • Pergolas
  • Caretaker's residences
  • New residences
  • Extensions to residences
  • Establishment of caravan parks and workers quarters
  • Car parks
  • Crossovers (see Engineering)
  • Patios
  • Swimming pools
  • Spas
  • Shade sails
  • Retaining walls (over 450mm in height)
  • Shop fit-outs and alterations
  • Commercial buildings
  • Ablutions blocks

Should you require any further information relating to the submission of permits, appointments may be necessary depending on the level of enquiry.

For further information, please contact the Shire’s Building Services Department on (08) 9168 4100.

Hoarding Permits 

A hoarding permit allows a builder to store building construction materials on a street, way or other public places behind a fence or hoarding. Materials may include bricks, timber, iron, site offices and storage sheds.

A hoarding licence may be required when there is little or no room for the storage of building materials on-site due to the nature of the building design or the size of the lot.

When applying for a hoarding licence, please ensure the following details are submitted:

  • a completed hoarding licence application form;
  • a site plan (two copies) to a scale no less than 1:200 indicating site boundaries, existing structures and any other site feature. The site plan must also show the proposed location and size of the hoarding; and
  • a Traffic Management Plan if not previously provided to the City as part of a building licence application.

The application will be assessed and approval may be granted for the use of the street, way or public place, depending on the impact it may have on the local area and the community. Alternative use of another street, way or other public places, may also be agreed upon by mutual consent.

Contact the Shire’s Building Services Department on (08) 9168 4100 for further information.

Pool fences 

State Government statutes require Shire officers to undertake at least one inspection within a four year period of all private swimming pools and spas in its area to ensure that suitable restrictive barriers are in place to prevent drowning.

The Western Australian Government’s new 5 Star Plus standards commenced on 1 September 2007 as a result of these new standards all new swimming pools will require a pool cover to reduce evaporation.

All private backyard swimming pools are required, by law, to be adequately isolated with a barrier, in order to prevent the unsupervised entry of children. All gates providing access to such pools are required to be self-closing and self-locking, and the pool fence is to be a minimum height of 1.2 metres, unscaleable barrier. It is the owners responsibility to maintain the barrier so that it is compliant with the regulations at all times. For further information regarding barrier fencing for pools and spas please refer to rules for pools here

  • Application requirements for new pools and spas

The following is required as part of your application:

  • A completed Building Permit Application
  • Two copies of a site plan showing where the proposed pool and all existing buildings/structures are located on the property
  • Details of the type and location of security barriers*
  • Signed engineers details of the structural integrity of the pool
  • Manufacturers brochure and specifications for the pool or spa
  • Signed Engineers details of the structural integrity of a second hand or concrete/brick pool.

* Please note: a separate approval is required if the security barriers for a pool are not installed by the applicant of the pool approval.

For application forms please refer to the Building Commission Website.

For further information, please contact the Shire’s Building Services Department on (08) 9168 4100.

Residential Fences

Dividing Fence Issues

A dividing fence is a fence that separates the residential land of different owners, whether the fence is on the common boundary or adjoining land or on a line other than a common boundary. In some circumstances, a front fence may also be a dividing fence.

Should an owner seek to construct a dividing fence, they must meet the obligations as defined in the Dividing Fences Act 1961 prior to constructing a fence. The Shire does not administer the Dividing Fences Act 1961 further information may be obtained from the Building Management and Works weblink.

Approval procedure for front fencing

A person must not erect a free-standing fence greater than 1.2 metres in height within the front setback area without obtaining a building permit from the Shire. Any fencing within the front setback area of a property may also require Planning approval from the Shire prior to commencing construction, if the solid portion of the fence exceeds 1.2 metres in height as measured from natural ground level, or if your property is a strata property.

Prohibited fencing materials

The following fencing materials are prohibited:

  • Broken glass
  • Barbed wire
  • Razor wire
  • Jagged projections
  • Asbestos materials (not to be reused or realigned)

Application forms can be found on the Building Commission WA website.

For further information, please contact the Shire’s Building Services Department on (08) 9168 4100.

Australian Standards to accompany 2017 Fencing Local Law

As part of the process of establishing the 2017 Fencing Local Law, the Shire has been requested to make available two Australian Standards referred to within the Local Law.

Pertinent to the forthcoming Fencing Local Law 2017, the Shire has electronic copies of AS/NZS 1170.0:2002 Structural Design Actions - General principles and AS2870-2011 Residential Slabs and Footings which are available for viewing by the public at the Kununurra and Wyndham administration offices at no cost.

Please ask for assistance in accessing the standards at reception, standards remain the property of the provider and may not be copied or otherwise removed from Shire premises.


A demolition permit is required before a structure can be demolished, removed or relocated from your property in the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley. This is to ensure that the Shire has a record of the removal of the structure from the property, which may affect your rates and to guarantee that the works are carried out by a suitably qualified person in a correct and safe manner.

A licensed demolition contractor must obtain the Permit unless the demolition work comprises demolition or removal of a class 1a residential building

The following plans and details are required with a submission for a demolition permit:

  • Completed Demolition Permit Application (BA5) form including signatures of all owners;
  • Payment of the applicable fee;
  • Letter of approval to demolish (Strata Developments only)
  • A full site plan is to be submitted, showing the location of the building to be demolished, in relation to the property boundaries and other buildings on the property. This plan is to be drawn to a minimum scale of 1:200.

Demolition Permit Requirements

There are certain statutory requirements and environmental health matters that are required to be addressed when demolishing. The following requirements are a guide only and further detail should be sought from the relevant authorities.

Swimming Pools

Where there is an existing swimming pool located on-site that is to remain, while the building is being demolished; adequate swimming pool barriers are to be installed to comply with A.S. 1926.1 and Building Regulations 2012 as amended.

WorkSafe Approval

  • Commercial Buildings;
  • Total and partial demolition of a structure/building that is 10m or more in height; and
  • Removal of more than 200m2 of asbestos cement roofing from a building that is less than 10m in height.

Further information can be obtained from WorkSafe WA.

Rodent Baiting

  • It is important that all buildings scheduled for demolition are baited for rodents. Baits are to be placed in the roof space, under the floor of the building (if possible), in the corners of each room and in all outbuildings that are to be demolished.
  • A wide variety of rodent baits are available from supermarkets and hardware stores. Please follow the product manufacturer’s recommendations with regards to quantities and precautions.
  • A registered Pest Control Operator may also undertake rodent baiting. A written report/receipt of the work must be provided to the Shire’s Environmental Health Service.

Sewered Properties

If a property is sewered a Multi Entrance Compliance Certificate must be provided from a registered plumber confirming that the property has been disconnected from the sewer.

Properties Serviced by Septic Tanks

All septic tanks, soak wells and/or leach drains must be decommissioned prior to demolition. After the system has been emptied the applicant must submit a Controlled Waste Tracking Form.

Decommissioning involves:

  • The pumping out/emptying of all septic tanks, soak wells, leach drains or other on-site disposal systems by a registered liquid waste contractor;
  • The removal of the tanks or if impractical, the breaking up of the base of the tank; and
  • The backfilling with clean fill and compacting of the fill material for all tanks, soak wells and leach drains.

For application forms can be found on the Building Commission WA website.

For further information, please contact the Shire’s Building Services Department on (08) 9168 4100. 

Building Act 2011

The Building Act 2011 replaces much of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960 and amends a range of associated acts. The key objectives of the new Act are:

  • to provide a comprehensive system of building control in Western Australia

  • reduce building approval times

  • set standards for building and demolition work in Western Australia

  • deal with building or demolition work that affects other lands.

The Building Act brings some significant changes to the building approvals process, from the design stage right through to the occupation of a building. The most important changes include:

Permit Authorities (Local Government)

Permit Authorities issue building, demolition and occupancy permits (and other associated certificates, requirements and orders).

Private Sector Registered Building Surveyors

The Building Act 2011 allows for private sector registered building surveyors. This means that an applicant has a choice to go to the relevant local government to obtain the services of a registered building surveyor, but will have the option to engage an independent registered building surveyor or any local government that offers building surveyor services. However, only a local government can issue a building, demolition and occupancy permits.

Occupancy Requirements                         

Occupancy permits are required before commercial and industrial developments are occupied. The Building Act 2011 makes it an offence to occupy a building, other than class 1 (single house) and associated class 10 buildings (garage, shed, etc.) without an appropriate occupancy permit.

Building Application Information

For application forms, please refer to the Building Commission Website.

The Building Services Department can be contacted by phoning (08) 9168 4100.