Building Services

The Building Services Department has the responsibility of issuing building permits for all new developments, patios, garages, fences, swimming pools and isolation barriers, additions to existing dwellings and any other alterations to a property. The prime role is to control building works within the Shire.

Building Services is responsible for issuing the following permits and carrying out inspections on behalf of the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.

  • Issuing of Building Permits
  • Demolition Permits
  • Strata Title Approvals
  • Swimming Pool Barrier Inspections
  • Issuing of Certificate of Classification for Commercial Buildings (class 2-9)
  • Issuing of Storage of Materials on the Street Permits
  • Inspecting Completed Building Works
  • Issuing of Fence Approvals Under the Shire’s Local Laws
  • Building Approval Certificate (Unauthorised works)

Please note that in most instances Planning approval may be required for development. For further information please contact the Shire’s Planning Department.

The Building Services Department can be contacted by phoning (08) 9168 4100.

Asbestos Hoarding Permits
Building Pool Fences
Demolitions Residential Fences

Building Act 2011

The Building Act 2011 replaces much of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960 and amends a range of associated acts. The key objectives of the new Act are:

  • to provide a comprehensive system of building control in Western Australia
  • reduce building approval times
  • set standards for building and demolition work in Western Australia
  • deal with building or demolition work that effects other land.

The Building Act brings some significant changes to the building approvals process, from the design stage right through to occupation of a building. The most important changes include:

Permit Authorities (Local Government)

Permit Authorities issue building, demolition and occupancy permits (and other associated certificates, requirements and orders).

Private Sector Registered Building Surveyors

The Building Act 2011 allows for private sector registered building surveyors. This means that an applicant has a choice to go to the relevant local government to obtain the services of a registered building surveyor, but will have the option to engage an independent registered building surveyor or any local government that offers building surveyor services. However, only a local government can issue building, demolition and occupancy permit.

Occupancy Requirements                         

Occupancy permits are required before commercial and industrial developments are occupied. The Building Act 2011 makes it an offence to occupy a building, other than class 1 (single house) and associated class 10 buildings (garage, shed, etc.) without an appropriate occupancy permit.

Building Application Information

For application forms please refer to the Building Commission Website.

The Building Services Department can be contacted by phoning (08) 9168 4100.