In the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley all land, other than exempt land, and mining tenements are rated according to the value provided by the Valuer Generals Office.

Note: Mining tenements include prospecting and exploration leases.

Adopted Differential Rates and Minimum Payments for 2019/20

The following differential rates and minimum payments were adopted by Council for 2019/20. 

Interim Rates Brochure 19/20

Rates Brochure 19/20

Differential Rate Category

General Rate in the Dollar

Minimum Payment

GRV Residential



GRV Other Vacant



GRV Commercial



GRV Industrial



UV Rural Residential



UV Pastoral



UV Commercial / Industrial



UV Rural Agriculture 1



UV Rural Agriculture 2



UV Mining



UV Mining - Exploration and Prospecting



UV Other



Adopted Differential Rates and Minimum Payments for 2018/19

The following differential rates and minimum payments were adopted by Council for 2018/19. 

Interim Rates Brochure 18/19

Rates Brochure 18/19 

The following differential rates and minimum payments were adopted by Council for 2017/18.

Please click HERE for further information.  Adopted Differential Rates and Minimum Payments for 2017/18

Interim Rates Brochure 17/18

Rates Brochure 17/18

Why does the Shire raise rates?

The rates to be applied are determined by Council on the basis of raising the revenue required to balance the estimated expenditure after all other estimated revenue has been received, for current and future requirements.

The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley Council is, and will endeavour to be, innovative in looking for alternative ways to fund projects to lessen the impact on ratepayers.

What does the Shire provide for my rates?

Services provided under general rates include but are not limited to:

  • Public facilities and amenities: swimming pools, libraries, parks and gardens, community centres, reserves and picnic areas, recreation facilities;
  • Environmental health, local laws, food safety inspections, control of pests and plants;
  • Roads (local roads, not declared main roads), footpaths and bikeways;
  • Information services, online services and community development programs;
  • Arts and cultural programs, local museums and heritage support, festivals and events;
  • Economic development;
  • Tourism development, information and support;
  • Cemeteries;
  • Youth services;
  • Community safety; and
  • Community leadership and advocacies.

How are rates calculated?

The Valuer Generals Office will provide Council with the Gross Rental Value (GRV) or Unimproved Value (UV) for each rateable property and mining tenements located within the Shire.

Properties located in the townships of Kununurra and Wyndham are valued based on a GRV, rural and pastoral properties and mining tenements are valued based on UV. If you like more information as to how the Valuer General apportions values to properties, please visit Landgate's website for further details.

Council will then set a Rate-in-the-Dollar (RID) and minimum payment.

Annual rates are calculated by multiplying the property's GRV or UV by the RID.

Example 1:
If the property's GRV is $20,000 and the RID is $0.15 cents and the minimum payment is $1200, then the rates payable will be calculated as follows:

$20,000 x $0.15 = $3000.00
Given that this amount is over the minimum payment, the amount payable is: $3000.00

Example 2:
If the property's GRV is $5,000 and the RID is $0.15 cents and the minimum payment is $1200, then the rates payable will be calculated as follows:

$5,000 x $0.15 = $750.00
Given that this amount is under the minimum payment, the amount payable is: $1200.00

How does the Shire set the Rate-in-the-Dollar?

The rate in the dollar is set by Council as part of budget adoption on the basis of balancing estimated expenses as described above. A public notice pursuant to the Local Government Act is published prior to the adoption of the rate in the dollar inviting submissions from electors and ratepayers.

An essential tool also used is the Local Government Cost Index (LGCI) published by the WA Local Government Association. This is a guide to the increasing costs Councils will face in the provision of facilities and services to the Community. This index is a combination of the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) and the Construction Index. The LGCI is an important key in forecasting expenses and it is prudent for Council to increase rates to at least the minimum percentage of the LGCI to enable Council to maintain current services.

The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley Council have adopted to apply differential rates as permitted under the Local Government Act within the Shire. Differential rates may be applied according to any, or a combination of the properties zoning, usage, or other characteristics. Current differential rating categories are GRV Residential, GRV Other Vacant, GRV Commercial, GRV Industrial, UV Rural Residential, UV Pastoral, UV Commercial/Industrial, UV Rural Agricultural 1, UV Rural Agricultural 2, UV Mining, UV Mining Vacant, UV Other.

Objections against Land Valuations

Any person not satisfied with the valuation on their property may lodge an objection with Landgate.  For more details please visit the Landgate website.

Other charges on your rates notice

Apart from rates charges on your Annual Rates Notice you may also incur the following:

Emergency Services Levy:

Since 1 July 2003, all property owners in Western Australia are required to pay the Emergency Services Levy (ESL), introduced by the State Government. This levy funds the career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service stations, volunteer Bush Fire Brigades, State Emergency Service units and multi-purpose volunteer fire and emergency service units in Western Australia.

All Local Governments across the State are required to collect this levy on behalf of Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). This levy is listed as a separate item on the rates notice. After the Shire collects this levy it is then forwarded to DFES.

For further information visit Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

Waste Charges

Under the Health Act WA and Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act WA it is a requirement of the Shire to ensure the proper disposal of waste and to provide waste collection services to properties located within the townsite.

Waste Management Charge: This charge is an annual charge that contributes to current and future waste management within the Shire. The Waste Management Charge is applied to all rateable properties and mining tenements.

Waste Receptacle Charge: This charge is an annual charge for the for properties receiving waste collection services.

Pool/Spa Inspection Fee

Regulations require that the Shire inspects all private pool and spa enclosures every four years to ensure safety compliance. The regulation states an inspection fee is to be applied. For further information about pool fences click here.

Rates concessions

Pensioners who meet certain criteria are entitled to claim a concession of up to 50% of the current year’s Rates and Emergency Service Levy (ESL). Seniors Card holders may be entitled to claim a concession of up to 25%.

To receive a concession you must:

  • hold an appropriate Pensioner or WA Seniors card; and
  • on 1 July of the current financial year own and occupy the property as your ordinary place of residence.

To own means you must:

  • be the owner or co-owner of the property registered on the Certificate of Title; or
  • have a "right to reside" at the property under the terms of a Will (provided a copy of the appropriate documents are provided).

Concessions are applied to the Rates and ESL only. All other charges must be paid by the due date. These concessions are applicable from the date your application is received by the Water Corporation. To apply for this concession please contact the Water Corpation on 1300 659 951 or visit their website.

Rates payments

Rates apply from 1st July to 30th June for a financial year. Notices are issued after the Shire has adopted the budget for that financial year.

Once rates notices are issued, ratepayers are provided with various payment and instalment options as shown on the rates notice. The first payment must be made within 35 days of the notice issue date.

Click here for information about the methods of payment of rates.

If you are having difficulties paying your rates, please contact the Rates Officer immediately on (08) 9168 4100.

Change of address

It is the responsibility of the home owner to advise the Shire of any change of address or ownership to enable the provision of rates notices. Click here to download the Change of Address Form.